Thursday, April 9, 2009

Help the Hopeful

A Couple of years ago I had to do a remote broadcast from a charity auction. It is called Help the Hopeful. To begin with, I really had no idea what it was all about. I did the broadcast, saw all kinds of stuff, really nice stuff. Unfortunatly I had plans for later in the day. I left. Two years ago I attended my first auction. It was incredible! More about my experiance a little later.



The event was started 17 years ago to help one little girl that had a brain tumor. The organizers were able to get the support of some local taverns, brewing companies and alcohol distributors. I know you are thinking...why are they involved. Well the organizer works for a liqour store chain. He has contacts there. They donated items and they were able to raise about $8000 for this little girl. The next year they decided to do it again, this time for a few kids. Again the brewerys came through huge donating coolers, chairs, grills, and more! Usually the kind of stuff you only see in the bars.





All in all over the last 17 years they have helped 128 children with major medical problems. The really incredible thing is that over the 17 years, every single penny has gone to the kids. Every single item is donated. Every person working is donating their time. It is so amazing to see the community come together at this event.



It is hosted at the local AmVets post. And when I say there is a lot of stuff there. You would not believe it! There are things people make. There are items that are donated year after year. It is truly incredible to see the generousity of this community.

It is not just the breweries and bars that donate all the items! Local business from all around the area give great things to be auctioned off. From camp chairs from hardware stores, to handmade quilts there is a huge variety of items. One of the big donaters is Weaver Popcorn. They always give a huge amount of popcorn that is sold!






This year, I was there early for my broadcast before the event, and I had to scope out the bake sale table! I am sucker for peanut butter fudge. So I make my way over there to see what they had to offer. There were pies and cakes and cookies as far as the eye could see. I was looking and looking for that peanut butter fudge. I see it down at the start of the table. I tell you, if there was someone between me and that fudge I would have taken them down faster than a cruise ship anchor hitting the ocean floor. I grab one small bag of 5 pieces for a dollar. As I pay, the guy running the table says..."That won't be enough!" I assure him it will satisfy my sweet tooth before they start the steak fry. So I find my seat, break open that bag of fudge. I take the first bite. It melts in my mouth. It is by far the best P.B. Fudge I have ever had. (sorry mom) Another guys says how his sister makes it each year for the sale. I hated to admit it, one bag was not enough. I head back over to the table and buy the last two bags. Hey...others should have gotten there earlier!



So after the fudge I go looking again at some of the other items. I have for years wanted a Crown Royal Golf bad. Well, there were a ton of "booze" golf bags. Johnny Walker, Miller Beer, Dewars...Ohhhh, there is my Crown Royal Bag. I have tried to buy these in the past. They usually go for more than I am willing to spend. With a little less than an hour left before the auction starts, I have pretty good list of the thing I am interesting in buy. Sarah, the wife showed up and began looking over the items too.

At 1:00pm they started the auction. They always beging by having a man sing the Oakridge Boys Classic "Thank God For Kids." This was enough to get my wife misty eyed. But believe me, there were more tears to come! Items are going up for auction, like these motorized coolers, and many more things. People are giving more than they are worth because they are for the kids. When we say medically challenged children, we are talking kids with cancer. Kids with brain deformaties. Serious medical problems. So I have the utmost respect for this organization.



One of the highlights each year are the Easter Bunnies. There are bunnies for each of the children. This year they were helping eight families that had their children at Riley, off to Minnesota, and all over the country for treatment for their ailments. Each child has a bunny. And they are auctioned off, knowing that if you win the auction, you pay the money, and then give the bunny to the child. And if you choose, you can get your picture with the child if they are in attendance. Some of the kids were there, and some were at the hospitals. Eight different times during the day, a family member stepped forward, either with the child, or alone, and talked about the challenges the kids are going through. Then the auction starts. I can tell you that every bunny went for at least two thousand dollars. One went for $3300, and the highest bunny to date went for an incredible $4100. All this money is given right to the families. Needless to say, even a tough macho guy like me had tears in his eyes!



After Bunny #2, one of the organizers got up for an announcement. Over the 17 years a lot of money has been raised. A lot of money that goes right to these needy children. But this year was huge milestone.
























That's right. ONE MILLION DOLLARS! What a milestone. If you are ever in Marion, IN the weekend before Easter, on Saturday, come to the auction, and see what giving people, with a hope and a dream can do. It might even inspire you to help the less fortunate in your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment